registering electronics

As I get ready to leave, I find myself accumulating more and more electronic equipment I need for my work in India. Here’s what I found out about registering electronics (or other valuable items), to prevent them from being taxed when you come back to the US:

  • The US Office of Customs and Border Patrol explains it here.
  • You will need to print out and fill out Form 4457, which is available on the page above.
  • You need to take your items and this form to a Port of Entry Office. You Can find a list by state here. You must do this before you leave the states. I would also call ahead to make sure they will be there, and also to make sure they have that service available at that office.

While I found it a little hard to figure out what to do, the people at the New Haven office were very helpful and quick.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s