Another amazing interaction with Anita this morning which I couldn’t resist posting. She bought a bunch of vegetables from the market including the mini-eggplants that I love. I was asking her what they were called in Hindi, and then tried to tell her that we called them “eggplant” in english.
- R: (half in Hindi half in English): It’s called eggplant.
- A: Ekplan?
- R: No, no, like eggs*. You know eggs?
- A: No, I don’t understand.
- R: Like, you know when you have a bird*?
- A: No.
- R: Ok, like a thing that flies*, in the air* (I’m waving my arms wildly). You know, they’re outside? (pointing outside and flapping my arms).
- A: (looks at the eggplant, and looks at me flapping my arms and pointing outside and is completely confused.)
*I couldn’t think of the words for these things in Hindi at that moment, which was the source of confusion.